Last Sunday we started a new journey as a church in our gatherings called the Story Of God.
The reality is we are story-shaped people as humans and as people who follow Jesus we participate in God’s work in the world. We want to understand, experience and intersect with God’s story.
Literacy Facts (From Soma Tacoma)
• Over 50% of people over age 16 are functionally illiterate
• 58% of the U.S. adult population never reads another book after high school
• 42% of college graduates never read another book
• 80% of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year
• Each day, people in the US spend four hours watching TV, three hours listening to the radio and 14 minutes reading magazines. It’s estimated that we spend as much as 80% of our non-working, non-sleeping time in front of a screen – TV or PC.
• Researchers believe that 70% or more of the people in North America prefer non-literate means of communication. (Preferred Oral Learners)
As I rub shoulders with people I continue to see that people often do not see the entire story of the Bible as one big story. So here are some important things we need to understand when it comes to God’s story.
5 Essentials In Understanding, Experiencing and Intersecting The Story Of God
1. The Bible Is A Grand Narrative
2. The Bible Is Not Primarily About Me
3. God Is Primarily Speaking To People In Community
4. The Entire Story Points To Jesus As King
5. We Know The End Of The Story